Q: What are the City of Edmonton regulations regarding firepits?



City of Edmonton link:


Content taken from above link:

Backyard fire pits and fireplaces are a great way to enjoy the outdoors, but they can be dangerous and the smoke and noise can disturb your neighbours.
Fire pits are regulated under the Community Standards Bylaw. Here are a few things you need to do to make sure your fire is safe and legal.


Building a Proper Fire Pit within Edmonton city limits, fire pits must:

  • - Be at least 3 meters (10 feet) from buildings, property lines and anything else that could catch fire
  • - Be less than 0.6 meters (2 feet) high
  • - Be less than 1 meter (3 feet) wide
  • - Have enclosed sides made from bricks, concrete or heavy-gauge metal
  • - Have a mesh screen on top to stop sparks (spark-arrestor) with openings smaller than 1.25 cm (1/2 inch)

- Burning the Proper Fuels


The only things that can be burned in an outdoor fire pit or fireplace are:

  • - Clean (non-treated), dry wood
  • - Charcoal
  • - Natural gas

- Burning yard waste, garbage, paper, or anything else creates too much — and possibly even toxic — smoke.


Limiting Noise and Smoke

While you may enjoy the smell of wood smoke, not everyone does. Some medical conditions are aggravated by smoke. Make sure that your fire is small and burning clean, dry fuels to limit the amount of smoke drifting on to your neighbours’ property. It is also important to limit the noise from around the fire pit, especially late at night.


Checking for Fire Bans

Before starting a fire, check to make sure there are no fire bans in your area. The provincial department of Sustainable Resource Development provides information about every Alberta Fire Ban.


Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a fire pit:

  • - Discuss the concern directly with your neighbour
  • - Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can’t resolve it directly with your neighbour
  • - Call 311. Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court


Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. - A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. - A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
  3. - The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. - The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
  5. - The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. - The city may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court


**If you believe a burning fire is dangerous, call 911 and Fire Rescue Services will respond immediately**


Protecting your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

For more information:

General Emergency Services Contacts

Telephone 780-496-3800
TTY 780-944-5555, code: erdinfo
Fax 780-496-1518
Email efrsinfo@edmonton.ca
Current Planning Service Centre
Sustainable Development
5th floor, 10250 – 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation:

Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
Telephone In Edmonton: 311Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311
Fax 780-496-6054


No Very

Captcha Image

Subscribe to Newsletter